Generally, abbreviations are not acceptable in academic writing. As academic writing is formal in style, most abbreviations should be avoided. For example: Avoid, e.g. and, i.e., instead use for example and instance. But there are some acceptable abbreviations also. Titles such as Mr Dr. Prof. are acceptable when using them in conjunction with the individual’s name. Abbreviations is a shortened form of a word or a phrase.
Acronyms are often used in academic writing to avoid the repetitive use of long. It is essential to understand the full form of abbreviations and a better understanding of the concepts. There are many words used in a short form to reduce sentence length in writing and reduce time consumption. Here is a list of important full forms in various sectors
Full form list of various sectors
Short forms are used widely in every sector. They are:
This sector is broad and comprises many branches. Physics, chemistry, biology, maths, earth science satellites are some of them. It is used mainly in the medical sector as well.
- DNA – Deoxyribonucleic acid
- SONAR – Sound Navigation and Learning
- DC – Direct current
- pH – Potential of Hydrogen
- CM – Centre of Mass
- FM – Frequency modulation
- MRI – Magnetic resonance image
As our technology grows day by day, it is essential to understand the short forms of some words that are regularly used. Mainly this area consists of the computer field. In this section, a lot of new terms will be introduced. Here is the list of acronyms and their long-form.
- 3D – 3-dimensional
- DSLR – Digital Single- Lens Reflex
- FTP- File Transfer Protocol
- GPS – Global Positioning System
- CCTV – Closed Circuit Television
- ASP – Active Server page
- CPU- Central Processing Unit
Educational and examination area
This area consists of words that are related to academics. There are many words related to this field, as it is a vast area of knowledge. This includes the name of institutions, professional qualification or any degree and a lot more. So here is the list of such words.
- BCA – Bachelor of Computer Application
- BBA – Bachelor of Business Administration
- CAT – Common Admission Test
- JEE – Joint Entrance Test
- NET – National Eligibility Test
- NIT- National Institute of Technology
- IAS – Indian Administrative service
- SSLC – Secondary School Leaving Certificate
- UPSC – Union Public Service Commission
- MD – Doctor of Medicine
Banking is an industry responsible for managing financial activities like transactions, cash or credits, and much more. So there will be many short words used instead of elaborating. Here are some acronyms which are familiar to everybody.
- ATM – Automated Teller Machine
- HDFC- Housing Development Finance Corporation
- IFSC- Indian Financial System Code
- INR- Indian Rupee
- NEFT – National Electronic Fund Transfer
- RBS- Royal Bank of Scotland
- ICICI- Credit and Investment Corporation of India
General full forms
This area is different from the above-listed sectors. This is not a branch of any field but general full forms of words that we use daily. The list is given below.
- AAI – Airport Authority of India
- SSB – Service Selection Board
- AI- Air India
- BBC – British Broadcasting Corporation
- BSNL- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- CEO- Chief Executive Officer
- COVID-19 – CoronaVirus Disease 2019
- DVD – Digital Video Disk
- EMI – Equated Monthly Instalment
- A shortened form of a word or a sentence is an acronym or abbreviation.
- Using acronyms and full forms while speaking and writing reduces time and saves energy
- Acronyms are often used in academic writing to avoid the repetitive use of long.
- There are many short forms of words used in each sector. Some of them will be familiar, and most of the full forms of acronyms we are aware of will be unknown.